Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ranking Up




Do you look young enough, or is too pretty also your doom, everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room. You laugh too hard, or not enough. Your kids are too polite, so you are too strict. My kids don't know what an iPhone or DS is, so I'm neglectful. I make too much income, and donate money, but for marketing only. My clothing is used, I have two outfits I repeat as much as possible. I sleep too much, my illness is made up to justify laziness....  Women, we are tearing each other apart. Dissecting the most intimate cores of our sisters. My cars too nice, so I'm a bad mom. I don't attempt baking so my kids suffer. What happened to Rosie the riveter, women empowerment. Being truly happy when someone does well. I can say I can, feel happy for others success. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I cant run, but I can pass out water bottles. I hate crafts, but I can balance a budget and negotiate a business deal like no other. If I were a man I'd be successful, not a "bitch". You don't hear men starting conversations with "did you hear what Tom said about Steve at that holiday party?" I'm no where near perfect, I've got battle wounds to prove it. But those are on all of us, in us, making us. My hard day is no harder than yours. My five kids aren't harder than your two. My laundry method isn't efficient nor a method. My house is a mess, I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your standard.

When I see another women struggle I help, if I see them succeed I rejoice. Haven't we come so far in humanity, rights, and we throw them out the door because someone's mom tweets too much, or refuses to buy her 12 year old a cell phone, wears too much makeup, or not enough.


Take inventory on what you hate and twist in others, it's lacking in you or you wouldn't zone in. I'm good at most things, I'm not amazing at anything. I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter, so when you have a negative word on your tongue or in your mind you are degrading someone's child. Someone's mom, someone's wife...... 


Jealousy doesn't have to equal venom. I want my daughters to look at other women and learn their worth. Learn no one can speak down to them or about them. After all they will be looking for partners someday and what we model they seek. In friendships, in partners. Jealousy is normal emotion, it motivates improvement. But why caddy? 

We get one chance, let's use it wisely. Let's model our best. Let's value sisterhood instead of desecrating it because "she's wearing that?" Our grandmothers fought too hard for equality to allow their last days watching housewives pulling each others hair out, or worse smiling to their face to talk horribly later. Enjoy your vote, your right to a credit card, driving privileges, job opportunities, enjoy each other. I don't rank up, I didn't sign up to be ranked. I certainly won't rank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment